The Asps is located to the south of Warwick and Leamington, in Warwick District. The site, which comprises 142 acres, was secured in 2013.
Landscape, highways and the potential impact on important heritage assets, including the adjacent Grade I registered Warwick Castle Park were important considerations when promoting this site. As such, approximately 12% of the site is reserved to protect the approach to Warwick along Banbury Road and respect the setting of Castle Park and the application included a 500 space park & ride facility.
A planning application was submitted in 2014 for a residential led development of up to 900 homes. The application was refused and the appeal was ‘called in’ by the Secretary of State, who allowed the appeal and granted planning permission in January 2016.
No legal challenge to the decision was received and the site is currently being marketed for sale.
- Up to 900 new private and affordable homes to help meet the urgent and growing need for new housing in the district, including for families, older people and those on lower incomes
- A new Park and Ride with up to 500 spaces and frequent and reliable bus services to relieve congestion on local roads and provide additional car parking capacity for the town centres and local businesses
- A new primary school including early years provision to meet the needs of the development
- A local centre capable of accommodating shops, a community hall and GP surgery to meet the day-to-day needs of local people and provide a hub for the community alongside the primary school
- Extensive pedestrian and cycle links into Warwick and Leamington Spa – providing more sustainable transport options for residents, commuters and visitors alike
- Extensive green spaces including sports pitches, children’s play areas and allotments – over 40 per cent of the site is retained as agricultural fields, strategic woodland and high quality public open space