The land south of Welsh Road West comprises c.12 hectares (c.29.6 acres) and is located on the western edge of Southam, in Stratford District. Barwood Land secured the site in March 2016.
The site is being promoted to the Council’s Local Plan for residential development. Over 50% of the site will be dedicated to publicly accessible open space including a c.5 hectare ‘riverside park’, which aligns with an identified priority and vision for this area of the town.
Our proposals for the land south of Welsh Road West will help realise a number of important priorities identified for Southam.
- Provide a mix of up to 175 high quality homes to meet local needs. Up to 35% of the homes will be affordable homes, with priority given to local people.
- The proposals will include smaller (two and three bedroom) homes as well as bungalows, which we are told there is an urgent need for in the area.
- Over half of the land will be dedicated to the local community for public open space including a new c.5 hectare riverside park (equivalent in size to c.5 full-sized football pitches). This will be publicly accessible with new and improved habitats that would significantly benefit wildlife and biodiversity of the area.
- Deliver, new and improved pedestrian and cycle links to the town centre to help boost local shops and facilities
- Generate around £6 million of additional income for the local economy that would help sustain and improve local services, facilities and infrastructure through New Homes Bonus scheme and additional spend.
Further information can be found on the project web site www.welshroadwest.co.uk