The site comprises 187 acres land on the edge of Tamworth, in the administrative area of Lichfield District.
The site was allocated in the Lichfield Local Plan for housing delivery to help meet the neighbouring authority’s (Tamworth Borough) housing requirements.
The planning application, for 1,000 homes, is expected to be determined by the District’s planning committee in autumn 2016.
Our site at Ashby Road offers the opportunity to deliver some of the new housing that is allocated in the Lichfield Local Pan, and to do so in a manner that will make a positive and attractive contribution to the town of Tamworth.
We have carefully assessed the site’s characteristics and the opportunities it presents to develop an attractive and spacious new addition to Tamworth, with a large amount of open space and landscaped parkland.
The proposal will deliver the following benefits:
- New housing including affordable housing for local people.
- A new primary school as a focus for the new community.
- A new local centre on Ashby Road.
- Parks, playing fields, pavilion and large areas of informal open space.
- Community allotments and orchards for the new and existing communities.
- An extensive network of new footpaths.
- A new cycle and pedestrian bridge across the railway line.
- Linear open spaces giving a connection for local people through the site to open countryside.
- Woodlands and lakes in a natural setting, managed for nature conservation.
- Protection of existing landscape features around the edges of and within the site.
- Enhancement of the setting of the Listed Building at Arkall Farm.
- Improvements to local infrastructure and community facilities that will be secured through the section 106 agreement, which would include financial contributions to secure the delivery of the ‘Gungate corridor’ improvements and the Anker Valley Link Road, and to secondary school provision.
- A New Homes Bonus payment of c. £7.6m to Lichfield District Council, which will make a significant difference in supporting its service provision to its residents.
In addition to the above list of benefits delivered on the site itself, the development will make significant contributions to the following:
- New and improved bus services for the benefit of new residents and local people.
- Funding for major improvements along the Gungate corridor into Tamworth town centre.
- Financial contributions to the proposed Anker Valley Relief Road.
- Contributions to increase secondary education facilities.